Thursday, October 15, 2009

Tray and Melissa's Elk Hunt

My husband is an avid hunter and hunting guide. He has hunted his entire life and loves the outdoors. For the past 2 years he has put me in for hunting elk in Arizona. Last year he walked my butt off in Unit 27 in Northeast Arizona, past Alpine. We both did not kill an elk. This year I decided that he was not going to make my life miserable by hunting when it was cold and sending me over mountains on endless hikes to find an elk. So I decided I wanted to hunt early and on a flatter surface. We put in for Unit 2a and b. There are less elk there, but I could walk for a longer period of time and enjoy myself instead of freezing my #@s off! The first day of the hunt came and my daughter and step son get up with my husband and I at 4am to be on our way. We parked and waited for the sun to rise. At 5:45am we walked into a clearing and saw a huge elk! I set up to shoot and shot through an opening in the trees. The 6 x 6 bull elk stumbled and almost fell. My husband yelled, "Shoot it again!" and I did. The elk stumbled and walked into the trees. We were so excited! We waited 10 minutes and walked over to the area. Nothing was there! We looked for 8 hours and could not find the elk. Our friend thought perhaps because I was 300 yards away and didn't have a very high powered rifle that I may have just injured the elk. The following Wednesday, I took the day off to get revenge! My husband and I went hunting alone, no kids. We scouted an area in the morning and decided we would sit at a water hole that afternoon. When we came back and set up the hunting blind, the wind had kicked up and was blowing dust into the blind. We sat for 3 hours and didn't see anything. At 5:45pm we decided to take down the blind and call it a day. We put the blind away and looked over the watering hole and there they were! 2 6x5 elk! We decided who was going to shoot which one and as soon as mine took a drink, I shot him right between the shoulder blades and he went down...dead! My husband shot the next one right away as it ran up the hill. I have pictures on my facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment